Delhi cops deny excessive force during CJP protest; cite 30,000 crowd, violence
Delhi cops deny excessive force during CJP protest; cite 30,000 crowd, violence
M.U.H
18/08/202627
The Delhi Police has denied allegations of excessive force against student protesters during the July 20 Jantar Mantar agitation led by the Cockroach Janta Party against the NEET paper leak, citing the presence of more than 30,000 protesters at the demonstration. In an affidavit filed before the Supreme Court, the police said the scale of the crowd and the violence that followed the breaching of barricades necessitated the use of graded force.
The affidavit was filed as a common reply in four connected petitions seeking a Supreme Court-monitored probe into allegations of police excesses during the protest.
The Delhi Police said that the protesters had gathered across a stretch of around 3 kilometres, while about 5,000 police personnel were deployed to manage the situation.
According to the police, the demonstration was initially peaceful, but the situation changed after protesters breached barricades and the crowd became difficult to control.
The force used by personnel was "graded" and, according to the police, proportionate to the circumstances on the ground.
The police said more than 240 personnel were injured during the clashes, while around 200 protesters also suffered injuries.
The affidavit further claimed that anti-social elements and history-sheeters had infiltrated the protest, contributing to the escalation of the situation.
Police said personnel were required to respond to the crowd while also ensuring that the protest did not spill over into surrounding areas.
Following the agitation, widespread allegations emerged that pellet guns had been used to disperse the protesters.
India Today had earlier reported exclusively that a 25-year-old protester suffered around 20 pellet injuries during the stir. Medical records accessed by India Today showed pellet injuries on his back and elbow.
India Today had also reported that another protester suffered a serious eye injury during the protest.
Both the Delhi Police and the government have denied the allegations of pellet gun use. Last week, Union Minister Kiren Rijiju also rejected claims of excessive force during the protest.
“Pellet guns have multiple pellets; they are not a single bullet. If only one person has been hit, then we will also have to see how that happened. In such a large protest, where thousands of people were present, if pellet guns had been used, how many people would have been injured?” he said in an exclusive interview with India Today TV.
Parliament’s Monsoon Session, which was adjourned sine die on August 13, was also repeatedly disrupted as the Opposition demanded a statement from Union Home Minister Amit Shah on who ordered the police action against the student protesters.
The CJP had led a 36-day agitation at Jantar Mantar over the NEET paper leak, drawing hundreds of thousands of students, young volunteers and Opposition leaders from across the country.
Activist Sonam Wangchuk also joined the protest and began an indefinite hunger strike.
The agitation was called off on July 25 following talks with the government and the resignation of then Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan – a key demand of the CJP.