This is the right way: Rahul Gandhi after Jharkhand govt cancels recruitment exam
This is the right way: Rahul Gandhi after Jharkhand govt cancels recruitment exam
M.U.H
18/08/202625
Congress leader Rahul Gandhi on Tuesday welcomed the understanding reached between protesting students in Jharkhand and the state government, saying it was the right way to resolve the issue. He said Chief Minister Hemant Soren chose dialogue, while the students showed restraint and got their demands accepted.
Gandhi also said the system would have to change across the country so that students are supported rather than held back. His remarks came after the Jharkhand government cancelled the JSSC-CGL examination and all recruitment tests conducted since 2014 by an outsourced agency following protests over alleged irregularities in recruitment examinations.
In a post in Hindi on X, Gandhi said, "An understanding has been reached between the students of Jharkhand and the state government, and the students have ended their hunger strike - it was heartening to hear this news."
He added, "Chief Minister Hemant Soren ji and the Jharkhand government chose the path of dialogue and arrived at a solution. The students exercised restraint and made their demands accepted."
Gandhi said, "This is the right way - when students raise questions, they should get answers."
He also said, "We stand with every student in the country. And we will uproot and transform this system, so that every student gets the full reward of their hard work and the right to fair competition."
Gandhi added that this system would change across the country and that a framework would be established which propels students forward rather than holding them back.
Gandhi had earlier written to Soren, urging him to personally meet representatives of the protesting students and take appropriate action to resolve the issue. He had said the protest was peaceful and the demands were legitimate, and asserted that the youth of India is its future and that "we owe them our solidarity and support at this moment of crisis". The Congress is part of the ruling JMM-led government in Jharkhand.
The state government announced the move after Soren chaired a marathon Cabinet meeting at the state secretariat on Monday. He also said an exam reforms committee headed by senior IAS officer Amitabh Kaushal would recommend measures to strengthen the recruitment examination process.
Soren told reporters, "The government has decided to cancel the Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission-Combined Graduate Level (JSSC-CGL) exam, which was one of the major demands of the protesting students. We have also decided to cancel all tests conducted by outsourced agency TSR Data Processing Pvt Ltd (TDPL) and the results published by it."
Student leader Devendra Mahto, who had been on hunger strike for 16 days over the alleged exam irregularities, ended his fast around midnight on Monday. Two protesters, Prem Nayak and Umme Habiba, also ended their hunger strike, while Rahul Kranti, Sabita Kumari and Rupesh Pal continued their fast.
Students celebrated and waved the Tricolour after the announcement, and activist Sonam Wangchuk congratulated Mahto over a video call, calling the government decision a "victory for everyone". The developments marked a breakthrough after the government accepted key demands raised during the protest over the recruitment examinations.